Celebrate Christmas in style with this simple sewing and bright tutorial from Judith from Just Jude Designs. Add your own little creative touch to the Christmas dinner with this beautiful set of 4 quilted table placemats.
Approx. 12.75" x 15"
You Will Need:
Front: 0.75m of Joy Multi from Alexander Henry
Back: 0.75m of Fancy Pinwheels in teal from Riley Blake
0.5m Compressed wadding or Insul Bright Heat Resistant wadding
Basting Spray 505
Chalk pen or non-permanent marking tool
1. Cut 4 x (13" wide by 15.5" tall) each from front and back fabrics and the wadding.
2. Spray baste the 3 layers together, with the wadding in the middle (if using Insul Bright, make sure the shiny side is towards the front/heat source).
3. Find the middle of the mat and chalk a vertical line.
4. Quilt along this line, from top edge to bottom edge.
5. Quilt vertically at 0.5" intervals either side of the middle line.
6. Trim the mat to 12.75" x 15" (or whatever maximum you can achieve).
7. Make the binding: Cut 8 x 2.5" strips across the width (44"). Join pairs of strips using 1/4" seam (use 2 strips per mat). Press the seams open.
8. Iron the strips in half lengthways, wrong sides together.
9. Starting at the bottom edge align the binding raw edges with the edge of the mat. Leave 5" free and start sewing the binding down using 3/8" seam allowance, (as you would for a quilt, with mitred corners).
10. Stop sewing a few inches short of where you started and remove from the machine.
11. Overlap the 2 ends of the binding and measure 0.5". Cut off the excess at this marker.
12. Open out the strips and sew right sides together using 1/4" seam allowance. Finger press the seam open.
13. Return to your machine and sew the remaining section of the binding down.
14. Press the binding out and flip it over to the back side. Either hand or machine the binding down.
15. Make another 3 placemats in the same way for a fun and festive set ready for the Christmas table!